Davidson and Football: One Family’s Journey

0
Brothers Andrew and Matthew at Matthew's football game

Brothers Andrew and Matthew at one of Matthew’s games

When I was first asked to write about Davidson College, I thought to myself, YES! Then I thought, how will I ever to be able to put into words all the feelings I have in my heart, all that I have seen and experienced through my eyes, and all that Davidson has done and continues to do for my family? It would be like looking at a picture of the Grand Canyon the size of a 2”x2” square. How will I ever be able to choose the perfect words that would really express the friendships, the brotherhood of teammates and the bonding of families to become one big family spread out across the nation?

I will never forget two special times that I was brought to tears. First, when Matthew ’16 came home one afternoon after a football practice in high school and said that a Davidson coach was asking about him. Second, the night Andrew ’21 was admitted into Davidson. As parents, we know that the utmost gift is the education our children receive. Davidson life and a Davidson education are gifts to them. I fully believe this experience can only happen here. Davidson truly cares about these students and wants to see them grow during their time at school. I have seen it so many times.

I already see the impact Davidson College and Davidson football is having on Andrew. I can see the light in his eyes of how much he is enjoying his experience already. I can also see how tired he is from practices, but I know it will make him stronger in many ways.

The brothers at Andrew's scrimmage

The brothers at Andrew’s scrimmage

Our immediate family is very small; it is just Matthew, Andrew, and me. But now, they have so many “brothers,” we can’t count them all. There will be even more brothers to come as Andrew is just starting at Davidson. We now have family all across the United States and amazing friends that we would have never met, if not for Davidson.

When these young men work and practice hard every day to protect their fellow teammates, it creates a family. They work together for each other, and they encourage each other. I fully believe that this will carry over to their education, career and their own families.

So, I go back to the original thought… How can I ever put into words what Davidson College and the football team has meant to my family? When you see these players together, and see the smiles when they are with each other, the laughter, and hear them talk to one another, you realize you cannot put this into words.

Crystal Brantley

Crystal Brantley is from Monroe, N.C. and has two Davidsonian sons, Matthew '16 and Andrew '21.